Tips for efficient driving
The amount of fuel you use when driving directly relates to the amount of greenhouse gas your car produces.
It will help the environment if you reduce your fuel use; it will also save you money!
Here are some useful tips to reduce your fuel consumption:
- Plan your driving: combine tasks into one trip.
- Avoid driving in peak hour: stop/start driving is inefficient
- Drive smoothly: rapid acceleration and deceleration wastes fuel
- Don’t speed: high speeds use lots of fuel
- Keep tyres pumped up: this reduces drag
- Don’t idle: turn off the engine if you are stuck in traffic or stopped for longer than 1 minute
- Service your car regularly: this will ensure it operates as efficiently as possible
- Remove unnecessary weight: extra weight requires extra fuel to move it around
- Reduce the need for air conditioning or heating by parking your car in the shade in summer and in the sun in winter