Enabling change in our Society, Environment and Economy (SEE)

The Super Shed Project

Transforming the humble backyard shed into a Passive House

Woden SEE-Change loves a challenge!  We continue our conversion of a tumble down shed on the Canberra City Farm (CCF) site on Dairy Road, ACT into an inviting, energy efficient educational space for CCF volunteers, schools, community groups and all visitors to use and learn from and we have called it the Low Energy Super Shed.

With a lot of help from a fabulous group of volunteers this building is now water and air tight, fully insulated and with the final roof cladding on.  Wall cladding is next.

There is much excited anticipation at CCF as new uses for the building  emerge. As you will see from the photos below the Super Shed is even now heavily used and we will continue to make the shed available to any group at CCF or SEE-Change who want to use it during and after the construction process, except for the days when reconstruction is occurring.

Then and Now

Where we started – south side

Better looking by the moment – south side

Where we started- north side

Moving along – north side







It really is the same old shed, but has transformed into a snugly shelter and it makes the world of difference.

Next Step

Material for walls: – We are collecting 2m or larger pieces of corrugated colorbond sheets in a variety of colours for the walls. We are also looking for aged hardwood decking timber. If you have either please contact Leigh below.

If you would like to get involved in the construction, catering, photography or writing this blog for the Super Shed Project – text Leigh Duxson on 0407283195.

Read about the most recent developments below…

Sustainable House Day – Sunday 15 September 2019

This was a very successful day with about 80 people inspecting the shed, reading our signs, watching the smoke tests and asking many questions.

Early Sunday morning Kevin carried out a thermal test on a window set which had been fitted with a Magnetite panel the previous day. The other half of the window was a double glazed panel, so it made a good comparison. The temperatures both inside and outside were similar so the thermal performance of the panel was found to be on a par with clear double glazing with about a 12mm air gap.

Magnetite right, double glazing left – outside view

Magnetite left, double glazing right – inside view- similar thermal results

Passive house program on laptop and air pressure testing system on right


The audience were not really interested in an air pressure test, they had seen it before, so we ran three smoke tests and there is no better way of seeing the difference between high performance windows and average or lower performance windows.  The high performance windows and door remained well sealed, but all the rest leaked, some significantly. The audience were also very interested  in the performance of the Magnetite window  compared with the double glazed window.

Kevin – during a rare quiet moment

Smoke leaking out past a window seal

Leigh – talking about window seals










Thank you to all from Woden SEE Change and Charlie who helped with crowd management, extra photos and explaining the purpose of the shed and the characteristics of windows to the visitors. Particular thanks go to Kevin from Canberra Passive House and James from Laros Technology for their support and interest.  A very successful day.

Leigh – taking out the Magnetite panel to show the visitors

Kevin’s sign explaining the principles of a Passive House











Installing flashing & sealing membrane – Friday 13th September 2019

Elaine, Dave and Leigh decided to finish the flashing around the shed to make it watertight and to tape the membrane to the flashing to make it look tidier and help air seal the building.

This was expected to take half a day and, as it happened, it did.

Leigh began the process by visiting the Green Shed the day before to search for something we could use as a tool to press down the flashing material into a bed of polyurethane and sure enough, he found a trainer wheel and steel arm from a child’s bike for $1.  Just the thing and it worked well.

Elaine – applying the tape to the membrane and flashing

Dave – stapling the membrane to the flashing and support beam

Flashing and membrane on and sealed except near drains









Final wall-top internal insulation – Friday 6th September 2019

Elaine, Dave, Leigh and Charlie arrived moderately early on Friday morning (but not Tradies start time) to complete the internal wall-top insulation on the two gable ends. This involved cutting many special pieces of fibreglass for the deeper cavities and then cutting polyester batts to overlay both the fibreglass and the LVL’s to provide a smooth well insulated final surface, ready for the Gyprock at some stage.


Dave – yes he did manage to trim around that timber! Note the fibreglass layer behind

Charlie, Elaine and Dave – preparing their next wall insulation pieces

Up goes some more Polymax








Elaine – “this is fun”

Charlie got started quickly on the soldering of some cables for the switchboard which he wanted to complete before we began insulating the top of the wall.  Meanwhile Dave, Elaine and Leigh moved tables, insulation, plastic bags and other rubbish away from the eastern wall and set up the ladders and the saw bench, with the new wave saw.  Leigh showed the others two ex-kitchen knives with wave blades (like a bread knife) that he had discovered could be sharpened with an ordinary kitchen sharpening blade, so we used them for trimming small pieces of insulation. Who would have thought?  How was the new saw? “Like cutting butter with a hot knife” said Charlie.


It is amazing how the speed of doing a job improves as the day progresses and the banter increases; so we changed from a group of aging retirees bumbling about at 9am, to a “team on fire”by 12 noon.  By lunchtime we were finished!

Yes we could have gone on to the next job outside, but the wind was cold and blustery and we had other lives to lead, so we called it a day. Another fun day at the shed, thank you all for your help.

More wall-top internal insulation – Tuesday 3rd September 2019

Slow and steady we move along.  Leigh cleaned up the plastic insulation bags from the Super Shed which the CCF people felt they could use; they are now in the Tool Shed. Then, with a little more room, he moved the table laden with preserves from the south wall, pulled out the trusty new wave saw and started cutting insulation pieces for the south wall top and stapled them in place.   Not being particularly fast, this process went on for some time, but was finished and photographed to prove it.

South wall insulation is complete

Looking tidy and complete










Installing wall-top insulation – Thursday 29th August 2019

Dave, Leigh and Charlie installed some wall top insulation inside the north wall, then started on the south. Progress was slow because of a blunt saw and difficult, detailed work between the timbers.  Fortunately no-one was paying us by the hour.

Charlie also continued with roughing in the electrical installation.

We did advance, but it is hard to see, except that it does look a little more complete.

Northern wall top insulation

Neat northern wall insulation










Polystyrene insulation and tape sealing – 24th & 25th August 2019

There is a spot in the wall few of us had noticed, under the bottom horizontal timbers that hold the external insulation.  No insulation under here, so it was a thermal bridge and an easy location for water to migrate to the ply wall. We fixed this by fitting extruded polystyrene glued on a bead of polyurethane and the space above it filled with expanding foam. Easy!  Brian, Dan, Harley, Phil and Luis were involved in various aspects of this.

Phil starts taping for the day – so many screw holes

Dan checking the  insulation is aligned

Leigh, Phil & Luis savouring what?

Sarah’s scones








Kevin was working on the north wall, removing some of the insulation, and installing supports to hold the battens in place around the windows and door and then replacing the insulation.

Sarah arrived with some very welcome scones for morning tea with home made jam and cream.  We were being spoilt. Helen came with Sarah to help out as well. Harley had been practicing the membrane trimming and attachment to the window frame after discussing it with Kevin and he then guided Dylan, Sarah and Helen as they did their respective windows.  Meanwhile Phil was learning how to tape window frame corners from Keven and beginning to apply it after he and Leigh removed the misshapen membrane over the windows.


Brian trimming the insulation board

Kevin refitting the insulation

Phil also trimming  boards

The expanding foam fixing the polystyrene in place









Harley was also experimenting with a variety of different expanding foams to see how much their degree of expansion differed. Conclusion – not much difference. Luis was “foam applicator”.  Trying to apply expanding foam layers above a moving collection of extruded polystyrene takes special skill.

Sarah & Helen taping the membrane to the window

Brian fitting the door battens

Harley guiding Dylan on window taping

Kevin had to move the drains further from the cladding –  on Sunday









Brian and Dan then began constructing some flashings to cover the polystyrene for after the foam was dry and trimmed. Then Brian started fitting the door and window cladding support battens while Kevin experimented with the drains and came to the conclusion that tomorrow he would need a jackhammer, as the drain uprights were too close to the position of the future cladding and had to be moved.

Peter helping Kevin with the rubble removal

More foam oozing out

Audrey chatting after delivery of Dylan and lunch

Cladding support battens are fitted around windows and doors









On Sunday Kevin began by cutting two slices in the corner concrete to form the square to be removed. Leigh went off to the rental company and hired a jackhammer for half a day and Kevin began breaking up the concrete pieces with Peter helping to remove the rubble and moving it to the pile. A long hard job.

Audrey arrived at lunchtime with the sandwiches chatted a while, noted our progress, tidied up and left.

Phil was reconstructing segments of membrane between the windows and taping them to the existing membrane pieces and Leigh helped by cutting  the membrane to size.  Paul arrived and he and Phil continued whilst Leigh began trimming the lower edge of the membrane on the south side and fitting a piece of flashing in front of the polystyrene by running a large bead of polyurethane along the concrete and lowering the bottom bent edge of the flashing into it and stapling the flashing to the bottom LVL then placing the membrane over the flashing and taping them together. A tidy, airtight and water proof end product when all four sides and corners are done.

With all this extra membrane, flashing and taping work, our building will be even more air tight.

Phil and Paul replacing the warped membrane

Kevin “Concrete near drain is nearly out”

Phil “I just have this one last section to go”

Looking neater and more finished

Kevin dug out the concrete, sealed up the joins and made the area safe while we wait for the pipe glue to dry.  We will test for leaks on the next workday. Phil had not finished his taping when the others packed up and left.  That was OK, he just kept going and going till he had finished.

Thanks to all for a lot of detailed work and especially for the rework that Kevin needed to do.


Installing insulation & membrane for south wall – 15th August 2019

Finally the weather improved for our third session of installing external insulation when Dave, Leigh and Peter had the satisfaction of installing and sealing down the insulation and breathable membrane on the south side of the shed. With some tidying up  of the eastern gable end all looked neat and secure.


Attacked by the wind and rain – Friday 9th August 2019

Wind damage

On Thursday afternoon and night a storm came through Canberra and at the CCF site there were winds in the order of 70kph. It tore the membrane away from the wall and blew out and soaked a number of fibeglass insulation batts we had carefully placed on the western wall on Tuesday.  Unfortunately not all steps in converting the shed are forward, so Friday on a cold and windy day Peter, Elaine, Dave and Leigh arrived to this mess.  So we repaired  the wall.  We installed some new insulation batts and membrane, taped the membrane along every join, added some more timber battens and crossed our fingers.

By lunchtime all was secure with much more taping and better positioned and more battens in place, but the wind and rain had driven right through us. From the warm and quiet shelter of the shed, a clear majority voted to call it a day.


Installing insulation on western wall & support  beams on south wall – Tues 6th August 2019

It was a cold and blustery morning when Hwanho and Elaine readied themselves for the work ahead on the western wall. We had bought some fibreglass from Bradford Insulation at a discounted rate and were trying it out for the first time.  It used recycled glass bottles as source material and was a non itchy design which made handling it much easy, possibly because it avoided Formaldehyde in the binder which was a good step forward.   Hwanho and Elaine cut and trimmed two layers of fibreglass insulation to fit between the horizontal timbers (LVL’s) and then wrapped the bottom part in membrane with the help of Peter and Leigh. The top area was much harder, as there were no timbers to support the insulation, so smaller vertical pieces were installed and the membrane rolled up from below to partly cover them as well as roof membrane to overlap.  Peter and Leigh quickly taped the membranes together as light snow drift and even greater winds came our way.  We tried to add some battens higher than the LVL timbers but there was little to attached them to.  Continuous taping was also impossible given the wet and windy conditions.  So we crossed our fingers.

Not sure what they are but someone has been making them in the shed

Elaine – fully protected – installing the insulation

Hwanho pushing the batts into position

Peter and Dave rolling up the membrane after removing it from the south wall









Meanwhile Brian was cutting LVL’s in the partial shelter of the big shed and then whilst holding them to marked positions on the wall, Dave was screwing them to the south wall using 200mm batten screws, sometimes using icing for lubricant.

Leigh was taping the flapping membrane corners on the north in the hope of avoiding wind damage.

Leigh, also arranged for a Laros Technologies person to come to the shed to check on the wonderful Doepfner door which was becoming hard to open. A little later the same day, James arrived, found the problem and came back again on his way home with the parts. All done in two minutes.  Thank you, James.

Brian – multifunctional man – can use his drop saw whilst holding his pencil

Carrot cake icing as a lubricant? Weird but works

Membrane in final position










It looks like such a lovely sunny day from the photos below, which just proves how looks can be deceiving.

Then it was time to get out of the cold so we went home. Thank you all.

West side covered in membrane – east side ready for insulation

North side showing roof and membrane mostly in place











Installing metal roof, external wall insulation & membrane – Weekend 27-28th July 2019

Finally the roof battening and colorbond roofing with ridge capping has been installed.  We have installed a double layer of insulation on two walls, covering them with the repositioned membrane and some temporary reused battens.

Harley setting up the wall supports for insulation

Kevin and Phil battening the roof

Sarah sealing more air leaks











The picture window

Sweeping off the rubbish before adding roof cladding

Ian holding an insulation support beam while the beam is fixed from the inside








Dylan holding the other end

Audrey cleaning after morning tea

Luis guiding Dylan’s drilling







On Saturday Kevin and Phil spent a long time on the roof, firstly removing the temporary timbers holding the membrane in place, then installing the battens for the roof, trimming the battens, sweeping the roof and adding a fascia on the eastern edge of the roof, lifting up the metal roof cladding and fixing it in place on the south side of the roof.

Meanwhile Harley was cutting the beams to be fitted to the walls to support the insulation layers. Luis and his son Dylan, Ian, Leigh  and Peter assisted in the fitting of the beams; fortunately the position for the drill holes was all set out by Harley before they started. Before long the East side was finished and the same process continued on the northside after the temporary battens and the membrane was carefully removed and the membrane stored in the  shed. Luis and Audrey provided the morning tea and Audrey did her best to clean up, given that there was no working sink.

Sunday saw Kevin and Phil on the roof to continue with the metal roof cladding, and then it was time to sort out the length of the eave on the northside, which was critical for the sun angles in winter and summer.  By coincidence another volunteer for the day, Ian, just happened to be an architect with a good command of the issues.  He offered (or was pushed) into going home (not far) and using some software to calculate the optimal sun angle. Then Kevin trimmed the eave, refixed the fascia and started cladding the northern half of the roof with Phil.  They finally added the ridge capping after filling the space under the ridge cap with a fire resistant layer of fibreglass insulation.

Sunday morning glow on eastern plywood – ready for insulation

Ian with Paul as he installs the wall insulation

Ian collecting details for calculating sunangles

Kevin in his warm hat

Alice finishing off the northern wall insulation

Rooftop conversation – Phil and Kevin

Membrane looking misshapen but covering insulation for now











Paul was given the task of installing the wall insulation on the east wall. He installed two separate layers of insulation giving us R4 on the outside of the ply. Paul had some assistance at the gable area from Kevin and Harley. Then Paul started the northern wall but ran out of time.  A new volunteer,  Alice, arrived before Paul disappeared and after a chat about Canberra transportation and planning issues began quickly trimming insulation and fitting it to the north wall.

We then fitted the membrane back over the east and north wall and erected some temporary battens to hold it all in place and it was time to clean up and go home.

Thank you all volunteers for helping to get the Super Shed one more step closer to completion and having some fun on the way.

Installing roof boxes with insulation – Weekend 15-16th June 2019

This weekend we were able to progress to roof insulation. We did this safe in the knowledge that we are now working on what can only be described as a very nearly airtight wooden box sealed to a reinforced concrete slab. Efforts to tape and seal all gaps and joins as we have gone along means that insulation will be a lot more effective than if we had simply insulated a drafty old shed.

Dave, Huanho and Luis spent the Friday of the previous week cutting and stapling insulation to the underside of the roof and when we arrived on Saturday morning we could see the benefits of that work straight away.

No condensation on timber where insulation is missing below

Matching insulation gap

Most of the roof was damp from the overnight cold, but  one area was dry. What was happening? Insulation under the roof of R2.5 was reducing heat from escaping the shed but where insulation was yet to be installed had dried off nicely, thanks to the warmth being lost from the shed. What a difference a small piece of insulation can make.

The weekend’s task was to install some roof boxes to contain the second and third layers of polyester insulation, and form the supports for the final layer of membrane, roof battens and metal roof cladding.

Kevin feeding bugle screws through battens and LVL’s

Harley and Hwanho positioning LVL’s to form the boxes

Dave drilling guide holes for bugle screws











Huanho and Harley sized up the LVL joists, holes were drilled down from above and the joists carefully placed over those holes. The joists were then screwed into place by Kevin from below with extremely long bugle screws. Morning tea was delivered by Lucia and was a much needed boost for the energy levels and before we knew it, we could smell the fresh pizzas being made for us by the Canberra City Farm Group which was much appreciated

Ready for pizza lunch

Hwanho, Dave and Harley unpacking insulation

First of the insulation to be installed








Elaine using the drop saw to cut the wooden box ends

Harley working on the edge insulation pieces

After lunch Dave, and Huanho laid out two layers of R2.5 insulation which created a layer 180mm deep. Harley focused mostly on the precision sawing of the insulation to ensure a nice tight fit. After some expert tutoring from Kevin on the finer points of using a drop saw, and much to her surprise, Elaine took over some of the precision wood cutting, while Kevin installed the wooden box ends. Then the waterproof membrane was laid over the top and stapled and tapped into place as the light faded over the horizon.


Hwanho rolling out the Mento membrane

Almost all the membrane is in place

Hwanho stapling the membrane in place

Hwanho and Harley trying to finish before the sun sets









Sunday morning saw Kevin and Dave return to the shed with Peter and Huanho joining them later, to add fascia boards and battens to secure the membranes. This kept Kevin on the roof for most of the day while the rest of the crew focused on adding extra membrane cover to the eaves and the ever important taping of gaps and joins.

Peter, Dave and Kevin about to start moving the box ends

Peter refitting box ends

Dave fitting Mento to the eaves

Kevin fixing roof battens over the Mento









Coralie provided chicken casserole for lunch and Sarah arrived to take some photos. A solid weekend’s work means we now have a very well insulated roof and much less to fear of the coming winter weather. Thank you all for your help.

Next we need to get the metal roof cladding on, which will complete the weather proofing from above.

Installing under roof insulation – Friday 7th June 2019

This was an inside job but it is still good to have sunny weather when you are working.  We were fitting polyester insulation batts to the underside of the roof to make the shed a little warmer.

Harley arrived with his cutting bench and saw, set it in operation and demonstrated to Dave how to trim the batts. Leigh arrived with a large extension ladder and Luis arrived shortly after, as did Hwanho.  Dave, Luis and Hwanho worked out their respective tasks and away they went, finishing the work by mid afternoon

Under roof space before insulation

Hwanho cutting the batts and Luis stapling them to the under roof space

Luis stapling up the batts








Work continues as the sun pours in

Lunchtime at the Farm on a fine Winter’s day

Thank you Dave, Luis and Hwanho for  your construction work, Harley and Leigh for technical support and Audrey and Coralie for catering.  Dave and Audrey for photos, thank you

The finished insulation









Airtightness test No. 3 – Tuesday 21st May 2019

Ben from Passivnous had a free day so at short notice we decided to run the last airtightness test.

Ben setting up for the airtightness test

Frame and cover in place

Setting up the program

Vacuum drawing in the cover

Fan with small ring size for low air leakage

Rob starting to tape small cedar window

Nicko taping the double cedar windows

Checking the result















How did the Super Shed perform?  Better than before the bottom plate sealing, but still below the passive house standard for a new building of 0.6 Air Changes Per Hour (ACPH). For the complete air volume we reached 0.67ACPH, an improvement on  our previous 0.7ACPH, but passive house standard is based on the final occupied space which reached 0.82ACPH, again better than our previous figure of 0.86.

We did, however, reach the requirement for a retrofitted house of 1ACPH, which is all we really need. This is called the EnerPHit standard for low energy retrofitted houses.

We also experimented with taping the uPVC awning window where most of the smoke had escaped and our figure improved by 0.01ACPH.

More leaks were discovered around the hinges of the tilt and turn door and windows and these were taped too but it only made another 0.005 ACPH difference, so it was time to stop.   Now for some roof insulation!!


Thanks Ben, Rob, Nicko and Leigh for your help today.



Even more sealing and a smoke test – Saturday 18th May 2019

Phil started by trimming off the foam we installed on Wednesday in the garage door stepdown and vacuumed out the excess. Now it is ready for taping.  After a short discussion with Kevin we decided to do the smoke test next because this would help us identify where the leaks were.  After all, why seal something if there is no leak?

Kevin and Paul setting up the fan in a window space

Fog Machine – Where is the disco ball?

Now it is working

Leaking uPVC Door – bottom edge








After starting up the fog machine and the pressurising fan, fog started emerging from most of the doors and windows. To our pleasant surprise there was only one very small wall leak evident, none from the roof and none in the wall to reveals or windows connections. We had all done a very good job sealing this building.  Pat on the back to all the volunteers please.

uPVC door – leaking at top corner

Leaking Aluminium window

Leaking from the rubber glazing seal – Al window

Leaking from the drain holes of the uPVC window



Timber AL triple glazed door – leaking from the bottom edge

Leaking from the Cedar double glazed windows

Where’s Kevin?

There’s Kevin!!














No, gone in a puff of smoke

Al window – rubber seals on window do not meet- bad leaks.

Al/timber window – continuous seal – no leaks

Paul taping over the foam in garage door stepdown








So, does all this smoke/fog coming out of the windows mean that the windows are no good? Well, no, it means there is a difference between normal double or even triple glazed windows and high performance windows.  If you want your house to reach passive house standard, ie no heating or cooling needed, then you are going to find it very difficult if you use normal double or triple glazed windows, because they leak.  How do you tell?  Start by looking at the seals (above).

Kevin taping from the other end of the stepdown

Taping in the garage door stepdown is complete

Phil preparing for adding more polyurethane

After the smoke test, Paul and Kevin taped the garage door stepdown and Phil and Leigh ran another line of polyurethane along the western external wall base to make it a little more waterproof and propped up some timbers to stop the membrane sticking to it while it dried.



Kevin then showed us some new ways of using the flashing tape and cutting membrane to fit objects passing through.

A really good seal of a membrane to a coffee jar

Airtight cable penetration using flashing tape

Tools for ensuring flashing tape is firmly fixed and does not leak


Thank you Phil, Kevin,  Paul and Leigh for your work today.

We are ready for yet another air pressure test.








More sealing – Wednesday 16th May 2019

An air tightness of 0.86ACPH is good but we wanted to reach the magical 0.6ACPH for a new passive house. So the volunteers committed to two more half days of sealing, applying foam, taping followed by a smoke test.

This is Dave applying foam to the stepdown for the former garage door

Hwanho watching how to apply the foam

Foam oozing out of the stepdown

Hwanho smoothing out the polyurethane sealant








We concentrated on sealing along the bottom edge of the walls at the bottom plate.  Now there is foam under the bottom plate where the garage door used to be and polyurethane linking the bottom plate to the concrete floor.

Sealing the bottom plate to the floor and taping the joins

More taping and sealing

We will wait for this to dry and return later in the week to continue.

Thanks Dave, Hwanho and Leigh.







Airtightness test No 2 – Saturday 11th May 2019

Everything off the walls for the test

The prize has been won and a great air tightness result achieved!!

A Southern Harvest produce hamper and CCF jam and chutney was won by Charlie who came closest to the measured airtight figure.

If you recall, the last airtightness figure was 8.6 air changes per hour (ACPH); not a brilliant figure for an airtight structure but still better than most Canberra houses.

Ben from Passivnous set up the equipment, guesses were compiled from the 15 people who attended, and the exhaust fan was switched on. Everyone went searching for leaks but this time they were much harder to find.  Ben called for more and more rings to be fitted to the fan, which meant the figure was going to be low, but for a low volume building that is not surprising.

Harriet making herself comfortable

Waiting for the test to start

Air tightness fan set up and operating

Leigh explaining the test







Kevin brought out his two thermal cameras and we went looking for leaks. He found one on the seals of a window but that was all.  We tried incense and a steam machine as well as hands and the cameras, but nothing noticeable.

Enjoying the conversation while waiting for the result

Fiona still searching for leaks

Harley helping with the fan rings

Fiona, Kevin and Ben after the test








Charlie wins the produce prize

The result was lower than anyone predicted!!  Ben announced 0.7 ACPH but after later emails with Harley about the final conditioned space volume, this was changed to 0.86 ACPH.   This is still a 10 fold improvement on the original test and meets the requirement for a retrofitted passive house building of 1 ACPH.

But will we stop there? Or does the temptation to reach the passivhaus standard for new houses of 0.6 ACPH mean that we will return to the shed, flashing tape in hand, polyurethane guns at the ready for another day of sealing those leaks?

What do the volunteers think?

Thank you again Ben for your testing and your offer to continue testing if we decide to do more airtightness work.


Final airtightness tweaks & electrical – Thursday 9th May 2019

Pumpkins moved, wiring begins

Rewiring the shed when there are so many pumpkins and other produce being stored is a challenge.  But at least the lights were working after the last construction day so it was easier to see and there was help from a number of people.  Cabling was installed for 2 overhead fans, the power circuitry and the 4 external floodlights.  The floodlight cables had to be fully sealed through the ply as we also wanted to conduct a trial pressure test before the official one on Saturday, once the taping was completed of course.

We were lucky to have more than the usual number of people with Charlie, Leigh, Luis, Coralie, Hwanho and Peter working for different portions of the day and Sarah dropping in to take photos.

With the second airtightness test on Saturday, the most important item for the day of, course, was carefully taping and sealing the remaining weak points to get the best possible air-tightness performance.  Peter and Hwanho worked on the north and south wall top edges, taping them to the underside of the roof and taping the joins of each roofing ply piece on the underside.  They used Brian’s split tape to simplify their work. Luis tidied up the membrane on the east wall, refitted the top battens to the wall and also helped Charlie with the electrical work inside. Coralie was given the window in the north east corner to trim back the excess foam and tape around the inside edge.  By the time she had finished there was no way air would be coming through her window frames.

Drying almonds

Herbs? drying

Drying beans

Farmer’s produce

Different pumpkin varieties

Charlie working on the power cabling.

Leigh bringing out some  taping knives

Coralie – morning tea













Before Ruth arrived in the afternoon for the Southern Harvest customers, we stopped the electrical work and put all the produce back where we found it – almonds, beans, garlic, potatoes, pumpkins, herbs, relish and jam. Then we brought out the airtightness testing equipment.  Result: – apart from a door and a window seal it was quite good!

Luis refitting battens to western wall

Coralie taping the window

Luis and Hwanho installing the airtightness fan with Charlie








The team



Thank you all for getting the final taping done. This must surely allow us to get a good airtightness result on Saturday; we will see.  Do you have your airtightness estimate ready?





Reinstalling electrical & roof trimming -Thursday 2nd May 2019

The LED light fittings are in and working!

Charlie, Dave and Leigh used the cables and LED light fittings from an earlier installation but repositioned the light switch next to the entry door. Unused wiring in the switchboard was stripped out and a new lighting circuit breaker installed to comply with the current standard.  Dave and Leigh reassembled the LED light fittings once Charlie had wired them whilst Charlie went on to install cabling for the fan and power for the projector.

Charlie and Dave working on the switchboard

Western wall – roof trimmed, taped and membrane in place

Eastern wall – Taped on wall and to roof









Air Leaks! The view up a ladder allows you to see things not visible from the ground. There we saw two nail holes in a piece of ply, invisible from outside but shining brightly from the inside up a ladder.  We marked and taped the holes, which should help our final airtightness figure.

Then it was time to vacate the Super Shed because Ruth from Southern Harvest had arrived and we had roof trimming to do.

The western edge of the roof was to be trimmed to enable the ply wall layer to be taped to the roof layer.  Easier said than done. Leigh and Dave climbed on the roof, and Charlie directed the trimming from below. As cutting the 19mm yellow tongue ply was going to be a major dust generator Dave connected and held a vacuum cleaner and hose to the circular saw whilst Leigh cut.  Both also wore their dust masks.  A cutting line was drawn on the ply but was difficult to see, so Charlie whistled when the saw was going off direction.  Trimming took longer than expected but we did finish and it could not have been done properly or safely with less than three people; fortunately there was no wind to make it more difficult.

Dave and Leigh then taped the roof to wall join, ensuring there were no air leaks along its length, Dave restapled the membrane to the ply and Leigh added the top wall battens to hold the membrane in place.

Thank you Elaine for providing the scones, jam and cream for morning tea and Deb who provided masses of sandwiches for lunch.  Maddie Diamond from SEE Change arrived for a tour of the Super Shed and was invited to help us demolish the sandwiches.  We tried, but there were still some to take home.

Thanks to all for your help.

Finishing airtight layer -Tuesday 30th April 2019

It was a typical Canberra Autumn day, starting cool with a little mist, then bright sunshine for most of the day.  Dave, Elaine, Peter and Leigh started at 8am and after setting up the electric saw, saw horses and ladders we discussed who would do what and how.  Peter brought out the precut and labelled ply from a previous construction day and positioned them on the northern wall top ready to be installed; how organised!  Dave and Elaine had the job of packing out a misaligned beam on the northern end of the roof trusses but they didn’t get far as we didn’t have a square drive bit for the screwdriver.   So Leigh went off to Bunnings and brought back a square drive bit and a pack of roof screws. To fill in time Dave & Elaine started setting up the LED light bases inside the Super Shed, ready for Thursday.

Meanwhile Peter was cutting some timber to fill in the air gaps between the roof battens on the western wall.

Dave and Elaine then went back to the north wall and soon finished off the misaligned beam by loosening all the parts and using packers behind the beam.  Then Elaine put on her earmuffs and nailed the ply in place whilst Dave refixed the roofing screws. Then Leigh used the new screws to fix all the timbers between the roof battens to the roof.  Peter had cut them flush with the ply and overlapping the roof battens, so we didn’t need to add another layer of ply on top. A good solution but time consuming. Of course, if we had owned a trailer full of Carpenter’s tools it may have been faster.

Elaine and Dave re-installing the LED light bases

Beams before packers were added to make them flush

Peter trimming timber for the gaps between roof battens





Elaine nailing the ply & Dave refixing the roof screws

Peter checking the ply size – western wall

Luis measuring up the timber for the next air gap











Luis arrived at 10am with the cake for morning tea so we stopped for introductions, some tea/coffee and cake. Luis then took over the timber fitting and Peter made a special ply piece to fit at the top of the gable end just below the ridge cap. Peter then started cutting timber for the roof airgaps on the eastern wall while Luis nailed the top edge of ply on the western wall and Elaine, who had finished nailing the ply on the north and taping the joins, began taping the joins on the western wall.

But where was Dave?

He was on the roof taping all the roofing screws that Kevin had fitted on the last construction day.  How many? About 200, which meant Dave was not to be seen for about 2 hours, but the view is nice from the roof and there was no wind. Leigh, of course, was adding more screws all around the perimeter of the roof as the timbers for the airgaps were fitted adding to Dave’s workload.

Elaine taping the joins and Luis nailing the top edge of the ply

Here’s Dave, taping the roofing screws

Airgap filled, ply nailed, ready for taping








All the airgaps were filled and all joins taped, including the taping of the eastern wall to roof connection so there are only a few more small tasks to complete full air tightness.

Thank you all for your help, we achieved a lot and improved our skills and knowledge in the process.

Preparing for Winter

Winter is fast approaching so it is time for CCF to dry their pumpkins ready for long term storage. What better place than the Super Shed.

Assorted beautiful pumpkins

More pumpkins


Southern Harvest have also moved back in for the winter. They will continue to distribute local farmers produce to customers from the Super Shed.

Produce sorting table for Southern Harvest




If you want to sign up for the produce boxes use this link:-








Roof strengthening/taping – Friday 12th to Sunday 14th April 2019

Friday was a very busy day. We stripped off the metal roof cladding and under-roof insulation, took off the guttering and the remaining pieces of Miniorb on the wall, then we fitted and nailed ply to the top parts of the south wall, taping the joins. We then rolled up and stapled the membrane to the top edge of the wall. We started doing the same for the north side but ran out of time.  Meanwhile we removed all the electrical wiring, fan and lights attached to the trusses ready for adding new trusses on Saturday. Coralie and Leigh also tried to build the mobile scaffold, which was at least half right; a job to finish in the morning, they concluded. Thank you to our new volunteers, Louise for the wonderful Anzac biscuits, Coralie, Elaine and Dave for their construction efforts and Coralie for the lovely lunch, and thanks also to our old volunteers Peter and Leigh.  Elaine and Dave said they learnt a lot and enjoyed themselves, which is part of the idea of our project, and all on a beautiful Canberra day.

Roof open – Leigh disconnecting lighting

Elaine and Leigh – off with the wiring

Peter- unbolting the Miniorb

Elaine, Leigh, Dave and Peter preparing to cut ply panels








Dave – nailing on the ply

Coralie – cleaning up after lunch

Phoebe resting near the vegetables

Elaine stapling the membrane and Coralie holding the wobbly ladder








Saturday was another beautiful day.  We welcomed a new volunteer, Matt., to the group.  He is studying Economics and Environment, which is very appropriate for a SEE Change project (Sustainability, Economy, Environment). Before long he was helping with the roof strengthening by cutting hoop iron straps and sawing timber battens at the top of the roof.

Kevin fixing the second new truss in place

Matt cutting the hoop iron straps

Harley fixing the trusses to battens

Paul and Kevin -another truss going in








Kevin started his day with Paul’s assistance, moving each truss into the shed and with very little alteration was able to place them all in the roof space between the existing four trusses and swing up the top edge.  Then started the long process of fixing the new trusses to wall plates and battens. This was done by Paul, Kevin and Harley while Leigh tried to remove a long steel bracket at the top edge of the gable walls.  Harley also had a try at this and we moved through a variety of tools looking for something to cut through the bracket nails with not much success. Kevin provided a mini crowbar which Leigh also tried with only some success.  Then Kevin moved in and soon it was all done. Thank you Kevin.

Matt cutting the battens

Paul and Kevin working on the trusses

Harley trying to remove the metal bracket

Trusses in and fixed in place







Audrey kept us going with the supply of food which as always was appreciated. Thanks to all for Saturday’s work, we are on schedule.

Then it was Sunday and we started with only two people, Kevin and Leigh.  This was the day we had planned to lift and fix the ply to the roof but many volunteers were interstate. Had we scared them off? No, holidays.

As the ply weighed 40kg a sheet and was 3 metres long this was not going to be pleasant. At least there was no wind. Leigh moved the now correctly assembled mobile scaffold into location and Kevin repaired some rotten roof battens in preparation for the lift.  Only three sheets had been lifted to the shed wall with one end resting on the roof edge when Coralie arrived with our morning tea with Audrey. Good time for a break and a rethink. A family of Kookaburras nearby also gave us a long chorus probably in appreciation of the worms we provide by watering the vegetables.

Kookaburras feeding on worms nearby

Scaffold – ready and in position

Ply sheets on the move

Coralie carrying the other end







Ply sheets ready for lifting

CCF members keen to hear about shed progress

Ply and tape is completed

After morning tea, Coralie willingly agreed to help carry the ply sheets to position and lift the bottom edge with Leigh as Kevin lifted from the roof.  Kevin was able to take each sheet, slide it into position and fix it in place whilst Leigh held the bottom edge to stabilise it.  Then whilst Kevin continued to fix the sheets on the south side of the roof Leigh and Coralie moved the others around to the north, ready for the next lifts.   With Coralie lifting from the ground, Leigh on the scaffold, and Kevin on the roof all the ply was lifted, moved to the roof and fixed to the roof battens. Tongue and groove ply was chosen to minimize ply joint leaks and give a smooth surface but needed gentle persuasion with a mallet and timber to ensure each was properly joined.

Then, as Kevin did a large amount of screw fixing, flashing tape and knives were brought out from the shed and Kevin and Leigh then taped all the joins and screw holes on the roof.  After the effort of lifting and fixing ply, this was a breeze.

Thank you to all who participated in this phase of the project, whether it was in catering, photography or construction, it all helped. We reached our objective of strengthening the roof  and the ply is now fixed in place and taped.


Panoramic photograph – Sunday 17th March 2019

Harley and Leigh went to the shed on Sunday morning where Harley set up his tripod and camera whilst Leigh cleared the tables and chairs and other gear out of the room. Then Harley began taking photographs of the room incrementally until every spot in the room had been photographed including the ceiling and floor.  It was all over in 10 minutes.

Then he went home and using some special software, stitched all the images into one virtual image.  Then he digitally removed the tripod from the image.  Wow!  Now you can see every part of the room as often as you like. Show it to your friends.

Click here to go for a tour around the virtual Super Shed!

Thermographic image

This was not taken as the temperature difference was not large enough between inside and outside for a good image to be produced.  We will leave that for a cold Winter’s morning.


Airtightness test – Sunday 3rd March 2019

Ten guests, three Woden SEE Change people plus Ben and his two children attended  the blower door test.  Ben is the certified Passive House person who ran the test for us.  Everyone was keen to witness the test and have a guess at the air tightness result. Many questions were asked about the test and home energy conservation in general so a one hour test turned into over two hours of test and discussion before we were through.  The thirst for knowledge was huge.

Guesses for the air-tightness of the Super Shed ranged from Paul, o.9 air changes/hr up to Charlie, 12 and 11 other guesses in between.

The results are in, thanks to Ben’s wonderful work:- 8.6 air changes per hour!  Is that good? Well, no, not for a passive house but it is still better than most fully constructed houses in Canberra, which range from 10 to 15 air changes per hour and our building is only half finished.

We have not yet taped the walls to each other to stop air leaks, there is no taping between walls and roof and the roof is about to be fully rebuilt, so next time will be an even better result.

Will it then be too tight with stale air?  No, because we will be installing a heat recovery ventilation system with 100% preconditioned fresh air.

Leigh and Ben describing the blower test process

Some of the audience

Can you feel any leaks?

Found one here








Why were some of the guesses so wrong?  Because if you can’t see light through the wall, floor or roof and you can’t feel a draught you may think there is no air movement, but air can find many pathways, including through insulation.  Try this experiment.  Find some polyester insulation and blow through one side with your hand on the other side.  Your hand will feel the warmth of your breath because the air is leaking through.  Polyester is the material we are temporarily using for the gaps between wall and roof, so it was bound to leak, but at least we have kept the bugs out.

Bill – Hmm, no leak here.

Trying to photograph a leak using a thermal camera

Calibrating the fan

Fan throttled down for the test








When doing the test we found that we did not need to move much air to get a 50 Pascal difference between inside and out (the standard measurement pressure) so the fan was throttled down to reduce air flow. Why?  Because there were few air leaks but because the room volume was small they had a big effect on performance.  So getting good performance in a tiny home would be even harder.

Thanks to all who came along to a very interesting test and asked such interesting questions, and thanks to all who helped to make this day work so well.

Eastern gable sealing – Friday 1st March 2019

Charlie returned from his holidays a little earlier than expected (car troubles), contacted Leigh and asked if there was any more to do before the blower door test. Well, perhaps he should not have asked because there was of course; sealing the eastern gable (ie the triangular top bit).

They started late after Danny helped by using his ute to move a large piece of ply needed for the day.  Thank you Danny.

The routine was a repeat of the work done on the eastern gable but still took a long time and included using a stapler this time to secure the membrane. They were tired by the end of the day.

Charlie finishing the taping

End of the day – wall sealed

Thank you again for the work done, just in time for the blower door test.


On Saturday Leigh added polyester insulation to the air gap between wall and the roof insulation, just as Peter had done on the eastern wall.

No more gaps visible anywhere. We are ready.



Western gable sealing – Thursday 28th February 2019

There were still a lot of air leaks through the gaps in the metal on the top part of the wall (the gable), so Peter, Sarah and Leigh thought it was worth tackling before the blower test on Sunday.

We stripped the metal cladding, cut some ply to suit, nailed it in place, taped all the joins, rolled out the membrane, added some more on top, then battened it to hold the membrane in place.  Sarah also did some more taping of the window and door reveals and added some more tape to the membrane used inside the shed. It sounds complicated but is easy, even for rank amateurs like us.

Peter prising off the metal cladding

First ply piece on the gable

Sarah taping the reveals

Leigh cutting the middle piece of the gable





Sarah and Peter taping the joins

Triple Sarah


More busy bees











We did well and just have a little stapling left to do, because we forgot to get a stapler (sigh).  Thank you all for a great day’s work.


Wall Sealing – Saturday 23rd February 2019

We started at 7am after a cool 12 degree night but inside was 18 degrees and very comfortable, a great improvement over this time last year.

The goal for the day was to seal all the air gaps we could find using membrane, tape, foam and Polyurethane so we were ready for the blower door test.

Harley applying foam around a window

Peter cleaning up after foam was applied to the door frame

Leigh using a trimmer to clean up the foam










Harley got started on the foaming of all air gaps around windows and doors.  Some needed to be completely filled with foam and others just needed topping up.  The only problem was to get the correct flow rate and the mixing of the foam. As Leigh had discovered last time, this was not easy.  This time Leigh was working on foam trimming, trying a motorised trimmer but finding a sharp knife was better.

Meanwhile Brian was stretched out on the ground on the east side of the shed trying to apply multiple layers of Polyurethane to the large gap between the concrete and the ply, where the garage door had been. We ran out of Polyurethane very quickly and Leigh had to shoot out to buy some more.

There is an art to applying foam, which as you can see, we haven’t mastered yet

Audrey with our new volunteer caterer, Deb

Brian taping the reveals to the ply wall in a tight space










Peter was busy trimming the foam around the windows, folding down the tape and sticking it to the reveals. He also taped over the metal brackets on the fixed window. Suddenly the windows looked much more complete and attractive.  Harley did the same to the door frame too.

Then Audrey arrived with Deb our new volunteer caterer. They set up for morning tea and we were introduced and out came a lovely almond meal orange cake which we all loved with our various beverages.  Our lunch went in the fridge for later. Deb did the washing and came back later after lunch to clean up after we had finished.  Thank you Deb, we also loved the quiche, fresh fruit and of course we had more of the orange cake.

Next Brian stripped back the membrane on the north wall and used the flashing tape to seal the gaps between the reveals and the ply, and at the reveal joints too.

Don’t lean on the wall or you will be taped too

Harley cutting the tape backing to make sealing the reveals easier

Deb, packing up after lunch










Peter and Leigh continued in the afternoon, trimming the foam and folding down the tape on the inside and then adding more tape to the reveal/ply joins on the outside and reapplying the membrane and battens.


Peter’s work of art – membranes taped around obstacles

Then Peter brought out the scrap membrane to start sealing the large inside cavities at the top of the north and south walls. This became a work of art with the same material applied to all cavities and thoroughly taped in place around the many obstacles to make it fully air tight.

After this they packed up, divided the remaining orange cake and went home.  Well, you have to have some rewards for all this hard work.

Thank you all for your effort on a beautiful late summer’s day.





Continuing East & South Walls – Friday 8th & Saturday 9th February 2019

Peter and Luis installing the south wall membrane


Good Morning all!  Introductions & chat. Now let’s get started. Off came the temporary plywood door, out came the tools and we were away!

Leigh, using his trusty reciprocating saw, cut out the South window opening in the plywood.  Luis erected his saw bench and with Peter’s assistance cut the battens to be used for holding the membranes in place.  Then Peter, Luis and Leigh erected the breathable membrane over the entire South wall, temporarily stapling it in place.  Luis screwed the battens to the wall, folding the top edge of the membrane behind the battens and covering the top edge of the membrane with the top layer of MiniOrb to avoid any rain  seeping behind.  Then we rolled up the membrane flaps at each wall corner and temporarily wired them in place. We are actually getting quite good at this!



Luis fixing the battens

Peter cutting out the mortise joints

Rob fixing the door reveal to the studwork

Next we cut the openings in the membrane for the window and door and Rob, the Carpenter started fitting the reveal for the door with Luis’ help, ensuring it was “level and square”.  Meanwhile Peter stripped off the plywood panels on the East wall where, let’s face it, we had made a mistake in the orientation of a window and the studwork had to be rebuilt.  Remember all those hundreds of nails we had banged in to the plywood?  Yes, Peter patiently levered two plywood panels out, trying not to damage the plywood or nails, and cut back all the polyurethane from the bottom of the plywood and the bottom plate, but he did it.  SIGH.  Meanwhile Leigh went on with cutting out the plywood for the other East window.

Then it was time for morning tea.  Thank you again Lucia, and for lunch later in the day. What was that herb in the spinach and fetta fritatta? Really tasty.

Luis then helped Rob with the installation of the door and Peter, who happens to be an expert on the chisel, cleaned out some mortise joints for the rebuilding of the formwork.  Before long Rob had completed the formwork for the window and went back to the door which was proving a little difficult.

Time for lunch and some contemplation on a sunny day

Out with the old and in with the new- Polyurethane

Luis and Peter, cutting and refitting the plywood panels

Cutouts and taping finished – storm coming








Luis then cut the ply to suit the new formwork and Peter nailed it in place after removing the old Polyurethane and after Luis had applied some new Poly. to the edge of the bottom plate.

Luis and Peter then taped all the gaps and joins on the wall while Leigh filled gaps around the power conduit entry point with Polyurethane and tape. Leigh also stripped back the fire alarm cable and fed it inside through a hole in the ply drilled by Luis (a job for later).

We could see a storm approaching and Rob showed us the BOM radar image, which did not look good, so we quickly applied the membrane to the eastern wall with staples and battens, wrapped and fixed the corner membrane flaps in place and we were finished.    We packed up our tools quickly and were able to leave by locking our new uPVC door.  SO EASY! No more temporary door panels.

Thank you all, I don’t think we have left much for tomorrow’s team to work on, but we will see.


Well, it is going to be a Portrait Window

This is how it looked at the end of Friday

Its comfortable, but a little warm – Harriet










Brian taping up the picture window

Phil measuring the tape for his window

With a deft hand, Brian makes our split tape

Working out how to fix the bathroom window





Phil arrived with Harriet who settled in quickly.  Soon after Brian arrived and started working on a reveal for the picture window and quickly proved he knew more than just his painting trade. “you will want this level and square I suppose”, he said. Before long Brian and Peter had the picture window in (a very heavy triple glazed window in timber frame) and the tape was fixed to the reveal on the outside.   Meanwhile Phil was working on the small cedar “portrait window” frame, which went in level and square also and then he fitted the hinged window and taped the frame to the reveal outside as well.  He then went on to tape around a number of the other windows even where access was tight under the membrane.  All going well.

We now needed a means of attaching the bathroom window to the reveal and thought something similar to the brackets for the door would be ideal.  Peter disappeared into the green shed next door and emerged with a box full of brackets.  Who knows why they were there, but they were perfect, so thank you Canberra City Farm.


Audrey provided the delicious food for our morning tea and lunch and life was normal again after the return of our coffee plunger, sparkling clean. Thank you Audrey and CCF.

Leigh thought it was time to get out the spray gun and begin spraying foam in the gaps around the windows. He of course did not read the instructions because the print was small and anyway “it can’t be that hard”. Well, he assumed it would expand to twice the amount applied and it didn’t seem to be reacting very quickly so he might have added some more but eventually it expanded to about four times its original size. So he has a lot of foam trimming to do, but you learn as you build.



Peter working on the last job of the day – wall insulation

Southern Wall

Eastern Wall

Looking much more complete and with a reversible DC ceiling fan








Thank you all, another very productive two days of construction and one big step closer to the finished product with all windows and doors now fitted and working.  Hope you are still enjoying being involved in this interesting project which we believe many people will learn from.

Rebuilding East & South Walls – Friday 18th & Saturday 19th January 2019


Did you know that it gets hot in Canberra?  Thursday, when moving building materials to the shed it was 41°C, followed by 41°C during construction on Friday and 33°C on Saturday with high humidity.  Most normal people would be resting in their houses or swimming in the lake, river or pool but no, the construction team were hard at work.

Harley & Charlie building the first reveal

Charlie unclipping the screws

Audrey – now, do I have enough food for these guys?










Great cake for morning tea Audrey. One piece each, but we were all too polite about who should have the last piece so the ants moved in. At lunchtime we were more pre cautious, eating as much as we wanted of your food and then storing the small remainder in the fridge.  Thanks again for your healthy and delicious food.

South wall -stripped and temporarily clad

Peter starting on removal of the garage door – east wall

Leigh – now, how do we remove the door springs safely?









Then it was on with the eastern wall, starting with the removal of the garage door. It took three of us just 15 minutes to get the door off including the careful removal of the door springs. We then isolated the power to the shed, stripped the metal cladding, reconnected the power, removed the Perspex glazing, added polyurethane to the concrete/timber edge, nailed ply temporarily in place and it was time to go home at 2:30pm to avoid the worst of the heat.  Harley had been working on the reveals but this came to a sudden halt when we cut off his power so he left a little earlier.


Installing the last piece of ply over the doorway at the end of our day

A big timber box










An early start again to avoid the worst of the heat. For the first time ever we had 11 people to help, and Gary a volunteer photographer arrived at morning tea, so tasks had to be found. We also had the company of two dogs this time, Harriet and Rusty.


Paul using finger and metho. to smooth the polyurethane

The artists, Brian and Phil. painting in the meadows

Harley & Ren preparing to tape the uPVC window





Brian, a new volunteer, is a Painter; so he did a variety of tasks on the timber windows and guided Phil as a painting co-worker.  We still have to decide on a final window colour but that is for later. Ren, another new volunteer was soon at work. Harley showed him how to tape a window ready for installation.  Ren’s dog Rusty was also busy meeting Harriet (Oh, so you are old and deaf too), charming all the volunteers, nudging for pats and checking for stray food. Harriet just sat on the grass and occasionally barked at the 24 bee-keepers walking by.


Kevin hard at work with his hammer drill

Ren with his taped window






Food for the day was provided by Lucia and disappeared quickly.  Thanks Lucia, it kept us going.

Douglas, another new volunteer arrived at morning tea and moved into the Carpentry work with ease. Soon he and Peter had finished the studwork for a small window. Douglas then helped Kevin while Peter removed noggings from old window frames.

Kevin with moral support from Rusty

Harley and Paul building the bottom plate for the garage door space

Kevin trimming window beading for Phil









Harley and Paul built the bottom plate and some of the studwork in the garage door space, Phil was building a window from a timber transport frame by adding glazing silicon and beading, Leigh was talking with Gary the photographer and Kevin was working on the framing for the uPVC door and the wall framing everywhere. Ren, who had finished taping the window, moved on to using a foam gun to fill the gaps around the windows with expandable foam.  This should make them very airtight for the future.


Douglas and Peter measuring up for a window nogging

Leigh – explaining how something works to Gary

Man or Ape?








Kevin and Douglas checking that the reveal fits

Harley making the trim panels

Nailing started on the south wall









There was so much happening it was hard to keep up.

With all the studwork and reveals completed and checked for size it was time to begin fixing the plywood. Harley cut  a series of trim panels to fill the spaces around the large ply boards to create a continuous surface for the later addition of a membrane. Then the nailing of plywood to the south wall began, fixing them permanently in location with polyurethane on the lower edge.


Phil -Who needs a ladder?

Harley & Kevin – Nailing starts on the eastern wall

A big timber box again- but very different inside










Nailing continued along the eastern wall and the end result was a big timber box much like the day before but more permanent and with a vast amount of extra work done inside. Hopefully we can organise a time soon to finish the installation of the door and windows.

Thank you all for a great job in hot weather and thank you Gary for your excellent photos.

Thermal Images of Eastern Wall – Thursday 17th January 2019

Before removing the garage door on the 18th, Leigh photographed the heat radiating into the shed. The external temperature at the time was about 32°C and the door was 63.5°C.

Sun heating the garage door

The metal garage door









Then Leigh positioned plywood on the outside to shade the wall and window surface. After 15 minutes the door temperature had dropped to 41°C.

Garage door shaded on the outside

The garage door looks no different but is much cooler










Installation of the Final Window – Northern Wall – 23 December 2018


The new window is installed

Holidays for Christmas and New Year have started but not for Kevin. He was out at the Super Shed installing the triple glazed Aluminium window that had arrived a few days before. We now have all windows and the door for the northern wall installed and working, and the view to the north is so much better, and will be better still when the garden is built. Entry of Winter sunshine will also be much better than previous Winters.

Thanks again Kevin.




Rebuilding West Wall – Friday 7th and Saturday 8th December 2018

What a team!  It is getting close to Christmas, but still, each volunteer put in some time and together we were able to complete the task.

7am – Charlie removes the cladding

Rob repairing the window frame

Harley – a cutting bench would be useful right now










This consisted of stripping off all the western wall cladding, repairing rot in timber on one corner and rebuilding the studwork (does that sound familiar?), making up a reveal for a window, rebuilding the damaged frame of the cedar window and rebuilding the studwork around the window.

Rob framing the window space

Kevin installing the reveal

Paul taping gaps in bottom plate to prevent air leaks










We installed the reveal, then the window, added polyurethane along the base of the wall up to the bottom plate (this is a lot of polyurethane but it keeps the edge water and air proof) and also taped all air leak points along the bottom plate.

Phil installing first bead of Polyurethane

Kevin – not you again

Hmm- a bit more to the left










We added more polyurethane to the side of the bottom plate and the end studs of the wall and then placed ply on the wall and nailed the plywood to EVERYTHING behind it. Then we taped the plywood joins and taped the ply to the reveal, rolled out the membrane, stapling it in place and added battens as we did for the north wall.

Nails go in

The dude with the cool sunglasses does the taping

Phil rebuilding the wall insulation











Expandable foam was used between the reveal and window frame, the window taped to the reveal, the external basin reinstalled under the new window, internal insulation was reassembled and we had finished our two days of work in very warm weather.

Wonderful window repair

That’s the second wall wrapped

Thanks to Charlie, Harley, Rob, Kevin, Paul and Phil for your effort, skill and persistence.

Thank you Audrey for organising the food, this time from a commercial caterer.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and enjoy your holidays.


Installing Insulation inside Northern Wall – Wednesday 28th November 2018

Charlie stapling insulation

Charlie and Leigh spent a few hours cleaning up the shed after the weekend’s construction work and also added Polyester insulation between studs on the northern wall. They continued the following morning with some stapling of insulation on the western wall.







Rebuilding North Wall – Weekend of 24th & 25th November 2018

The transformation has now begun in earnest with the rebuilding of the north wall to include a triple glazed door and 3 windows (ultimately 4) both double and triple glazed units.  You can see from the happy faces that it was a success.

The Work Sequence went up on the wall and we were away.  Firstly Phil and Leigh started stripping the northern wall of metal cladding, trimming the metal just below the guttering, removing the windows and suddenly there was nothing left but the studwork. Meanwhile Kevin cut out the rot in the bottom plate of the wall, rebuilt the plate and studs, then set out the position of the doors and windows on the floor and began to cut the studs to suit.

Kevin working on the studwork

Rob – Double J’s on. Let’s MOVE IT!

Mmm- we really do need a drafting person









Rob, a Carpenter, came to join us on Saturday which meant that we had two Carpenters for the first time, which was a great help. Harley cut long sheets of formply and Rob then chopped them to the correct sizes and with the help of Luis built the reveals to fit into the wall for the windows and door while Phil sanded the sharp edges of the formply.

Sarah arrived at this stage with her home-made scones and Anzac biscuits, so we had our luscious morning tea. Needless to say the food disappeared very quickly and Leigh and Phil really enjoyed their coffee. Then she continued photographing while we faked working.

Kevin continued to add more studs to strengthen the walls between  window and door spaces, while Luis and Leigh added long lengths of plywood to the outside, using polyurethane to seal the plywood to the outer edges of the wall and the floor plate under Harley’s guidance. Harley then cut other pieces of plywood to fill in the gaps on the wall.

Rob and Luis making reveals

Fortunately Harriet is deaf as fitting ear plugs would be difficult

Nail, nails and more nails










Then the nailing began, Rob with his fearsome Titanium hammer, was well ahead of Luis, Phil and Leigh and his nails were in a straight line with equal 100mm spacing, but Kevin and Luis were quite good too. Paul who had just arrived was up a ladder nailing at the top edge of the ply. What a noise!!

Then it was time to apply the tape to all the joins of the plywood to help stop water and air penetration. The tape is very sticky and the cutting knife sharp. Paul ran tape along the top of the ply while Phil and Leigh taped lower down the wall.

Luis by this stage had set up his saw to halve some timbers for use as battens to hold the membrane in place. But adding the membrane was for Sunday. Phil cleaned out the gap between the newly applied ply and the concrete which Luis then filled with polyurethane to keep the structure dry and air tight.

We then nailed temporary ply over the window and door spaces and packed up for the night.

Sunday morning was a fine day with a mild wind so we rolled out the membrane. Kevin stapled the bottom edge whilst Harley and Leigh stretched the material taut on the wall. We used minimal staples so that we could reuse the membrane later in the construction and we added the battens for extra support. Phil and Leigh cut out the spaces in the membrane for the windows and the door under Harley’s guidance and with Luis’ help we inserted the reveals and screwed them in place.

Meanwhile Kevin and Harley prepared the window and door frames by smoothing off rough edges and fitting tape and polyurethane for air and water sealing. Luis also did some taping.

Audrey provided the lunch of pizza which was enjoyable as usual and Phil’s mum made the chocolate and coconut biscuits for morning tea.  Thank you to both.

Luis fixing a reveal to studs

Harley preparing a window frame

Phil working on a reveal

Membrane, windows and door fixed in place









Now it was time to insert the reveals, screw them in place and apply the tape from the frames to the reveals on the outside.

Who is that man at the window?

Learning how to apply the tape

Fixing the door to the reveal

Membrane, windows and door now in and working





Once again a job well done and thank you to all who contributed. We achieved a lot in two days.


Installing Insulation inside Western Wall – Tuesday 20th November 2018

This one was supposed to be an easy task but not quite that easy. Have you ever tried to cut polyester?  Leigh and a new volunteer, Charlie, who happens to be an Electrician, used Harley’s specially made workbench for clamping and cutting polyester batts.  The saw is very sharp so we were very careful and had the job done by mid afternoon.

The shed is now a little quieter and the white of the insulation is a lot more attractive than the dirty tin colour of the metal cladding.  Thanks for your help Charlie and for your bench and saw Harley.


Canberra City Farm Open Day – Sunday 11 November 2018

It was a lovely day for the CCF Open Day and we had about 1000 people as predicted. Leigh, Harley, Phil and Harriet were there to greet the Super Shed visitors, of which there were a steady stream.  They came to see the demonstration window and wall section we had set up to show how we intended to improve the shed , or they came to admire what we had already done, they came to volunteer their help with our rebuilding project, to take our pamphlets on heat recovery ventilation systems or the article on solar vs passive house and/or to pat Harriet.

We had set up our brand new cardboard sign saying “Low Energy Super Shed” (thank you Lucia), with our website address or for those with a Q/R code app. on their phone, we also had our own Q/R code on display.  Yes we have made it in the digital world and I did see some people using it. Still, you need not feel left out if you don’t have the app, just type, The Super Shed Project, into your browser and you will arrive here. Easy really.

A highlight for us was meeting a person from a local low energy technology firm who was asked about the possibility of donating a door to our project, and some days later, it happened, and it is a super insulated door. This was after an earlier donation from them of a special heat recovery system. Thank you, Daria and Alistair for making it all happen.


A Tiny Home on exhibit at the Open Day.

The sun beginning to set through the vegetable gardens after the Open Day

Our Q/R code which says The Super Shed Project







Tidying up after the Concrete Pour – Sunday 28 October 2018

During the week after the pour we removed the concrete form-work from the path edge, cleaned the shed, cured and cleaned the concrete path, removed the star pickets and generally tidied up the site.   Then on Saturday Leigh, Luis and Phil met to continue cleaning up around the shed for Open Day.

Refitting metal sheeting to the bottom edge of the shed

Practising the stomp

Hey, we are finished


We refitted the rain guard and the bottom sheets of metal to the shed wall, filled the trench alongside the path with the earth that we had carefully taken to the Dept of Broccoli site some time ago. We stomped a lot and watered a lot.  Then we removed the Corflute covering the broken louvre window and made up some temporary sheets of corflute to replace the three broken glass plates. This will once again enable us to have a cross breeze in Summer. Then we were finished.  An easy afternoon’s work on a beautiful Spring day.

Thanks Luis and Phil, see you on the weekend of 24th and 25th November.


Footpath and Rain Pouring – Saturday 20th October 2018

If you have a need to break a long term drought in your area then I have the perfect solution.  Call Woden SEE Change to build you a footpath and it will bring rain. True.

We arrived at 8am ready for a busy time before the concrete arrived at 10:30am.  The weather report sounded threatening but how many other days had this been the case and nothing much had occurred.  So we took the risk, because volunteers are usually only available on weekends and concrete delivery is only on Saturday morning so that meant that this had to be the day.

Luis started by delivering our morning tea and lunch, thanks again Audrey.  Then after a quick chat, he began taking off the lower cladding pieces to make screeding the concrete easier, later on.  Meanwhile Phil cleaned the rubbish that had gathered in the form-work spaces, removed the steel mesh and rolled back the plastic ready for the fitting of the expansion joint material to the slab edge over the Termite mesh.  But there was a gap in the mesh around a bolt that needed to be filled so Leigh zoomed  off to Bunnings to buy some gap filler, then back to stop those termites.


Termite Super Highway

Phil moving concrete, work procedure on the wall

Joe starting to position the concrete on a sunny day








Paul fitted the expansion joint material to the rest of the slab edge then Phil  refitted the plastic at the base of the form-work.  Our new volunteer, Joe, arrived and was introduced to all.  Joe , as it turned out, knew more about concreting than the rest of us put together, which was good because we knew we needed help. The steel mesh was reinstalled and Paul, Luis and Joe started tying the different pieces together while Phil and I filled the holes in the existing path with metal glue and hammered in the reinforcing bars.

Then the concrete mixer arrived 20 minutes early as we were still tying the mesh and hammering the rebar.  So does that mean no-one else is ordering concrete today? Hmm, that is a worry.

Joe went off to get the concrete mixer organised and the wheelbarrows and spades ready to go. Paul and Luis started moving concrete early and Joe managed it’s placement.  No time for morning tea yet.

Leigh also began moving concrete, as we had 3 cubic metres to move and a 1 hour concrete mixer time limit.  All going well. Phil then took over a wheelbarrow and Leigh used the concrete vibrator to remove voids and air bubbles in the mix, then Luis also started screeding with Joe’s guidance. We were half way through the third side of the shed when the mixer operator announced we had used all the concrete.  No point arguing, we ordered another cubic metre just before they closed the cement works and it came out in a smaller truck.

It started raining just as we were moving the last cubic metre.  The driver helped us spread some of the concrete, then he was off, just as it began bucketing down. There was nothing we could do, except have morning tea, of course and pat Harriet who had been banned from moving from the shed while the concrete was being poured.

Paul – I really hope that is the last

There’s no doubt, that is rain

Concrete losing sand and cement








We tried to bring up some more sand and cement mortar from the mix and were doing well, it was starting to look better, but then we had another shower and another break.  After that, we scrounged for some more fines, Joe started using a broom to hide some of the blemishes, Luis started edging the path. We were determined to finish this if the weather would allow it.

Joe doing his magic

Luis starting the edging

Let’s just get it covered








Then Audrey phoned to warn us that more was coming so Leigh rushed off to Bunnings again to buy two large roles of plastic and we covered all the concrete as fast as we could just as the rain started.  Harriet was huddled in a cardboard box we had found for her in the shed. Her preference was to go home.

Despite the rain we got it finished and somewhere in all of this we even got to grab lunch.  Not sure when, it is a bit of a blur. We laughed when Luis took off his shirt and wrung it out the door-space and that was AFTER he had taken off his rain-jacket. Yes, we were drenched.

Thanks to all for your efforts under challenging conditions.

Down it came again

Luis covering the path

This is not getting better

More coming








Post Script – on Sunday, Leigh did some cleaning up, yes it was a little rough in places, but still a good solid, non slip path and strong enough to walk on even now and draining water away from the building, which was our objective.


Termite Mesh goes on – Tuesday 16th October 2018

Right on schedule, Shane from Termimesh arrived on Tuesday morning to install the termite barrier around the slab edge of the Super Shed.  All over in two hours, so now we can prepare for the concrete pour on Saturday 20th October.

Shane installing the Stainless Steel mesh

The painted termite mesh









Preparation for Pouring Footpath – Sunday 14th October 2018

As usual we began at 8am and in Spring that is not as bad as Winter.  Our objective was to prepare the ground around the Super Shed for a 1 metre wide path that our Structural Engineer said would strengthen the building and keep the rain from the foundations. The Southern Harvest people were very pleased about this path because it will make it easier for their customers to get into the shed to pick up their food boxes.

Leigh cleared away the orange safety barrier, stuck the Work Sequence for the day on the wall, gave a rousing speech (No) and we were away!

There was much removal of dirt for this path – approximately 30 metres long by 1.2 metres wide and 100mm deep. The dirt was sorted into clean for the pile near Dept of Broccoli and the rest to a rubble pile much further away.

I don’t know how they do it but a number of our volunteers can dig and talk at the same time, rather than dig and pant.

Must be fit.

Leigh with Harriet helping

Harley & Paul – out with the dirt

Phil powering on









Morning tea time with Sarah and Audrey arriving with Luis. The sponge cake made by Sarah did not last long, even Harriet had a little.  Audrey set out the morning tea, then cleaned up and set out her lunch for later. Once again, thank you Sarah and Audrey for your fine home made food.

Morning tea Leigh, John & Luis

Phil, Paul and Harley enjoying a conversation

Cake , do you have cake? – Harriet








Luis drove off for the timber to be used by the Form-work Carpenter, Daniel, arriving at 12pm.  The digging and moving of dirt continued.  Leigh got out a jack-hammer and removed a concrete overfill on the slab edge so that the termite mesh would fit better when installed.  Sorry about the noise and dust.

Here is a question, when does soil become dirt and can it once again be soil?

Audrey cleaning after morning tea – bush style

Paul and John installing the expansion joint filler

Paul digging to the path edge








After an enjoyable lunch we returned to the outdoors to find Daniel had progressed very quickly with the form-work so we filled it with a plastic lining, stapled it to the inside of the form-work and then brought out the steel reinforcing mesh to fit into the form-work around the shed. We used scrap steel from the previous concrete work for small corners of the path.

Harley installing plastic lining

Daniel installing the form-work

Luis removing slab edge cover

Steel mesh in place







Luis removed the slab edge cover to make the work of the termite mesh fitter a little easier. We left the mesh in place but untied so the fitter could remove it if needed.

Then we packed up, reinstalled the barrier and went home.

Thank you to all again.

If the Termite mesh is installed this week then next Saturday we will be pouring.

If you would like to be involved in this great project then please text Leigh Duxson on 0407283195.

Pouring Footings & Finishing Pipeline – Saturday 22nd Sept 2018

We arrived on site with little time before the Mini-Mix was due but much to do.  We found the slab was so thick in places that it was difficult to hammer drill holes for the pins, which were to hold the footings to the slab.  Kevin pulled out his super hammer drill and gradually got through, but that still left Peter and Harley trying to add parts on the other end of the pins inside the footing holes whilst the rest of the crew were moving concrete from the mini-mixer to those same holes.

Kevin and Harley hammer drilling slab to insert locking pins

The team in action

Kevin with his concrete vibrator

When the mini-mix driver saw we only had two wheelbarrows and were obviously just a bunch of amateurs he told us that he had a full day of deliveries and we would pay extra if he had to stay any longer than half an hour.  But he had not seen us work before.


Last Pour

Luis and Paul moved those wheelbarrows liked greased lightening, with Leigh guiding the concrete into the holes and scraping the barrows, Kevin using his half working electric concrete vibrator to settle the concrete evenly into the holes and Harley and Peter staying just ahead of us with the installation of the parts in the footing holes. We were finished in 25 minutes and used every bit of concrete that came out of the mini-mixer.

The mini-mix driver said, “You blokes would put a lot of professional concreters to shame, you handled it so well.”  He knows how to keep customers.



I asked Kevin why so many of his tools were only half working? “You lend them to your friends” he said.

Then Audrey arrived from Bunnings with the remaining pipework parts and a sealed box for the beverages, cutlery and crockery she has been setting up in the shed. Audrey had been taking photos during the concreting and continued till we finished our other work.

Nearly finished

Time for a chat

Definitely faking it here

The pressure was off now that the pour was over, so we had morning tea, then Harley, Paul and Luis went on with finishing the water tank pipework, while Kevin trowelled the footings and cleaned up around the site and Leigh cleaned inside the shed, re-erected the safety barrier, closed the shed and it was time to go home.

Thanks again to everyone for a good job well done.

We still need a concreter for the next step which is constructing paths around the building.

If you can help, please text Leigh on 0407283195.

Footings, Rainwater and Electricity – weekend of 8-9th September 2018

It was a tough but rewarding weekend.  We dug the footings around and under the concrete floor slab of the Super Shed, installed most of the rainwater system for a tank to be installed on the South side of the Big Shed and investigated where electrical power was sourced and where it might run to.

Danny cutting the trench for rainwater and mains pipes

End of cut at the Big Shed



Danny began early by machine digging two trenches; all finished in 15 minutes. Amazing!  It was made easier by the recent rain, beautiful soil and a competent digger operator, of course.

This trench was used to bring fresh water from the Big Shed to the edge of the pizza oven shelter and for feeding rainwater from the Super Shed to the Big Shed.



Phil powering away

Leigh on the Auger

Next, we began digging the footings, starting on the West side. Easy!  The ground was soft, the auger churned out the soil; digging under the slab edge by hand was slower but still it was easy enough.    Phil, Harley and I did a lot of this by hand and with the auger.


Kevin cutting the concrete path

Morning tea in the shelter

Meanwhile Kevin started the concrete cutting, hard, noisy and messy work but fortunately there was no reinforcing on the slab.  Then Sarah and Audrey arrived with a lovely morning tea (scones, jam and cream) and a lunch provided for later and Sarah continued taking photos.



Then it started getting harder.

Kevin & Harley breaking up the concrete

Path is now gone, on with the footings

The concrete cutter failed, the path on the north side was full of reinforcing, the ground on the east side of the shed and under the concrete paths was dry and rock hard. So out came 5 jack hammers and an angle grinder and away we went, slower, harder, noisier and lots of hand digging and crowbar work but we progressed.

Jodie, who had been working with CCF, volunteered to help out with digging the footings, then rode home on her bicycle, as you do after carrying and setting timber poles and digging footings.  By the end of the day we had moved a lot of earth, broken up the concrete and moved it all to separate piles for reuse by Canberra City Farm. We also discovered that under the floor slab had been a rabbit warren. All in a day’s work.

Work continued Sunday with more hand digging around the edges, then Luis arrived with the road-base for the trench in his trailer, morning tea and a boxed lunch, pizza this time; once again from Audrey.


Now this goes with that, I think

Luis and Peter placing road-base for the pipes

Harley arrived at morning tea and started work on the irrigation pipe-work and soon after Peter arrived, worked on a footing and then some of the trenching to the water tank. Harley cut and glued the piping, placed the multiple bends and joiners to connect with the temporary downpipes from the Super Shed gutters. Meanwhile Luis unloaded and moved the road-base into the trench, enclosed the water main and then the rain water piping in road-base and then we proceeded to backfill the trench.


Scotty – like my hat?

Three conduits- no diagram

Then our Electrician Scotty arrived to investigate how the wiring system was connected and where it came from etc.  He discovered a lot in a short time which will be invaluable for later in the project.







One more footing to go, a rest and then we can pour the concrete. Thank you all for your wonderful efforts.

CONCRETER NEEDED FOR OUR NEXT JOB – please text Leigh Duxson 0407283195

Baseline Documentation – Thursday 30th August 2018

Today we set  up a camera on a tripod in the shed and rotated it in all directions taking photos to make a “virtual room” of our shed. Then we did the same for a thermal camera.   It was minus 4 degrees C outside and we heated the room with as much heat as could manage for 1 hour (4.8kW) before taking the thermal images.  Harley has stitched the high resolution images together and a link to them is shown below. We will do this at each stage to show the improvements in thermal performance.

Harley incrementing the camera taking multiple images

Harley & Kevin checking loaded images

External image – Western wall









Take the Virtual Tour of the Super Shed

https://roundme.com/tour/304083/view/977383/                                           Photo Image

https://roundme.com/tour/304191/edit/978041/                                             Thermal Image

The lack of a mechanical clamp for the thermal camera meant it could not be incremented as accurately as the photographic camera so did not stitch as well.  We may be able to improve this arrangement for the next test.

We won an ACT Government – Community Zero Emissions Grant

                                  Monday  27th August 2018

I am delighted to say that our application for a Community Zero Emissions Grant was accepted and the presentation for all successful applicants was held at the Low Energy Super Shed.

Here are some photos from the event.  About 30 people attended, including the media, Woden SEE-Change and Canberra City Farm members, Caroline Le Couteur and of course Minister Shane Rattenbury presented the grants.

Minister Shane Rattenbury presenting the Community Zero Emissions Grants

Minister on a tour of the Super Shed with Leigh Duxson and Jessica Stewart

Grant winners with Shane Rattenbury and Caroline Le Couteur








Not only did the Minister get a tour of the Super Shed and an outline of our plans, he was able to enjoy the post-announcement snack of delicious scones, jam and cream with tea or coffee. Scones made by Georgina and jam cooked in her kitchen from the CCF Shiraz grapes.  The compliments on the food kept coming. “Best scones I have ever tasted” was one.

Now that we have the grant we will be able to concentrate on the project rather than the fund raising.  What a relief!

Lighting – Wednesday 30th May 2018

For lighting we decided to install 6 new LED double battens and two external floodlights for the customers to Southern Harvest Food Box Network (which uses the shed as a base). It is so much brighter and easier to find things.

Southern Harvest in action through Winter

LED lights are now complete

Planning has also begun on the installation of the footings, northern double-glazed windows & doors. A submission has been made for an ACT Government Zero Emissions grant, which would be very valuable for this project. So, watch this space for more progress or make contact to help or make a donation.


Fixing Doors and Windows – Monday 21st May 2018

Temporary plywood doors, Perspex windows and raised roof

Then the rush was on to find reuse materials for the doors and windows to finally enclose the Super Shed before the start of Winter; after all, we wanted Canberra City Farmers warm during their break times. We found some solar angle displays on ply board in our store, which worked very well on the doors and as luck would have it, the Green Shed had copious quantities of Perspex we were able to use for the windows. Then a new door lock and a combination key box on the outside.

So the shed is no longer a cold draughty place, it is starting to feel more comfortable and secure.

From windy shed to still shed.  We made it by the start of Winter.


Finishing the Roof – Sunday 22nd April 2018

Kevin – refitting the metal roof after roof raising

Work is progressing well on the Super Shed. Here is Kevin, the Passive House certified Carpenter fixing the final under-roof insulation pieces and roof panels in place while Leigh and Peter hand up the materials and add the remaining mini-orb wall pieces to cover the exposed LVL timber on the walls.  All in a half day’s work.  The roof is now working well with very reduced heat loss and no water leaks.





Raising the Roof – 21st April 2018

This was our first day of construction and we had a very keen workforce of volunteers including a volunteer lunch provider. What better way of keeping everyone going.

Off came the metal roof and guttering, out came the roof lifting equipment (props), up went one side of the roof, then the opposite side, then large timbers called LVL’s were inserted and locked together.  Then we started locking the studs to the floor, the top of the studs to the top rail,the top rail to the LVL’s and used straps up over the LVL’s to hold them in place, then the LVL’s to the roof framing.  Next, Kevin began fitting the roof insulation and refitting the metal roof with support from the DIY’ers, and we also began fixing mini-orb from inside the shed to the outside of the LVL’s, but ran out of time. Quite an effort for one day but enjoyable and the weather was perfect.

Raising the roof after metal removed

Phil is showing how much the roof is being lifted

Fitting the LVL in place and fixing it







Turning the humble backyard shed into a Passive House

The volunteers at Woden SEE-Change love a challenge.  Our latest is to turn a tumble down shed on the Canberra City Farm (CCF) site on Dairy Flat Road, ACT into an inviting, energy efficient educational space for CCF volunteers, schools, community groups and all visitors to use and learn from.

The current space is a leaky, double metal garage which we are going to convert into a clean, comfortable Passive House (or Passivhaus) demonstration building and CCF tearoom. Passivhaus buildings consume virtually no energy for heating or cooling, while still providing 100% fresh air at a comfortable temperature.

There are currently no buildings open to the public in the ACT that demonstrate Passivhaus principles.  The Super Shed will be the first. Much can be learned from Passivhaus design principles to live a lower carbon life even if personal situations do not allow you to build or renovate your home to Passivhaus standard.

We will hold open days and talks at the Super Shed for groups, students and associations to educate and activate the community to improve comfort in their homes while reducing energy consumption, CO2 emissions and energy costs.

So far we have a small but dedicated team that includes a PassivHaus consultant, engineers and builders as well as willing workers.  We have spent hundreds of volunteer hours to lock in our design, budget and building plan. Various businesses and households have donated building items. We will be continuing to promote this project and seek support through offers of free labour and expert advice, cash and material donations and community grants.

To keep in touch with the project and our fund raising efforts or to ask more questions and put your name down to help, please contact Leigh on 0407 283 195 or
e: woden@see-change.org.au

Further Super Shed info is at www.see-change.org.au

Visit the Canberra City Farm at www.ccfarm.org.au

Further info about Passive Houses is at https://passivehouseaustralia.org/

Original shed

Original condition























Tags: , , ,

With thanks to our


  • ACT Government Environment and Planning
  • The Association of Independent Schools of the ACT (AISACT)
  • Catholic Education Office (Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn)
  • Education and Training Directorate
  • ACT Government