SEE-Change and Canberra City Farm collaborated on a wonderful hands-on composting workshop. 17 people attended this fantastic event and had a wonderful day together.
What was learnt:
- Jenni showed how to make a large-scale, hot compost heap.
- This type of compost heap doesn’t need turning and will get to about 70 degrees – that’s hot enough to knock out all weed seeds!
- This method generates about two cubic metres of beautiful compost, ready for mid-winter preparation of veggie beds and feeding fruit trees.
- Building the heap took all day, and we also demonstrated the Indore method of making compost (outlined in Peter Bennett’s book, The Organic Gardener).
- Keith showed how to compost on a smaller scale suitable for everyday kitchen scraps.
- How to compost your kitchen and garden waste.
- How to set up a worm farm.
- How to use a bokashi bucket.
- Jenni has kindly put together a HotCompost recipe, so you can try it out at home.