SEE-Change is collaborating with CoCanberra (Co-operatives, Commons and Communities Canberra).
If you are interested in cooperatives, worker self-directed enterprises, commons, community based infrastructure and organisations, the democratisation of capital, alternative forms of ownership, non-hierarchical management, and building a new and just economy, then look no further than CoCanberra.
Renewable energy, regenerative food production, housing, social service provision, anything you can think of can be done in more cooperative way, and be owned and directed by people just like you!
CoCanberra is here to provide ongoing support and resources for new and existing organisations in Canberra and its surrounds who align with our goals.
These goals are:
- To invent, facilitate, implement and support resilient ways of providing for our needs, while recognising the natural limits inherent to the places we live, and designing our new systems within those limits.
- To invent, facilitate, implement and support ways of providing equality amongst all humans, and a fair and decent life for other beings.
- To begin this change at the local level, scaling up to broader community horizons as local needs are progressively met, providing that the skills and resources to do so are available.
- To make the designs, results and methods we work on as easy as possible to share with and distribute to others who share the same goals, to help them set up their own similar groups.
- To communicate clearly and accessibly with the general public about why these changes (see 1 and 2) are a good thing, and why they are necessary.
- To work alongside other groups who can help us further our goals.
- To use the patterns of the Natural World as a guide in our design work – “What would Nature do?”
The group began in early 2017, and is currently establishing a Wiki to showcase regional examples of well designed organisations, and the best of national and international examples. We will also be showcasing the theories behind the thinking, philosophies, outstanding individuals in the field, and other relevant information.
We would love you to write up your favorite example and post it on the wiki – contact firstname.lastname@example.org to help out.
We are also developing a network of folks who know how to develop and set up these organisations. Get in touch with us, and we can point you in the right direction for appropriate information on how you can begin or continue building your idea.
CoCanberra hopes to advocate for and support worker cooperatives, community groups, and democratic workplaces as a key path to a resilient, locally integrated, locally owned, environmentally beneficial, democratic economic system in Canberra, in which economically and socially marginalised communities are supported.
They are currently in development of a renewable energy cooperative in partnership with Pingala Co-op.
We are also associated with the New Economy Network of Australia (NENA).
The group meet on the last Monday of every month, at 6pm. The venue varies. Contact us to find out more about the group, their next meeting, or their next event.
Our website is coming soon!
Our Email: email@example.com