Belconnen House Blitz
On 30 May 2015, SEE-Change in collaboration with ACTSmart held a House Blitz – Draught Proofing Workshop, where we undertook draught proofing on a house in Belconnen.
First of all everyone learnt from Lish Fejer and Andrew Pickard about why draught proofing is important and the difference between draughts and ventilation.
We then did a blower-door test on the house to see just how bad the draughts were, everyone got ‘hands-on’ to seal the house and finally the house was re-tested to see the difference.
The results were:
- The house was so leaky that we could not get an initial reading of the air leakage rate.
- We improved the house leakiness by over 50%.
Key draught-proofing items discussed and used included:
- Extractor fan with built-in damper
- Extractor fan damper for existing fans
- Evaporative cooler vent cover – magnetic
- Evaporative cooler vent cover – plastic suction (see image above)
- Vent cover – clear contact
- Polystyrene insulation
- Door seals = Raven
- Eco door seal = EcoMad
- Downlight roof cover = Tenmat
- LED sealed downlight unit
- Caulking = HB Fuller Ultra Clear (can be purchased from Home Hardware Gungahlin)
- Windows film = Winter Windows Clear Comfort
- Wall vents covers
- Exhaust fan in kitchen damper
- Rubber gloves