Parliament of Youth
Registration for the 2017 Parliament of Youth on Sustainability is now open.
Schools are invited to send up to three representative teams from each of the following four year groups to the Parliament:
- Kindergarten to Year 3 – six students per team
- Year 4 to Year 6 – six students per team
- Year 7 to Year 9 – three students per team
- Year 10 to Year 12 – two students per team
Remember: Each team should submit one Green Paper by 5 May 2017, deliver one five minute presentation at the Parliament, and choose a team Minister who is ready with a one minute speech about their proposal.
See below for further information on how to register.
WHAT: The Parliament of Youth on Sustainability is the chance for ACT students from kindergarten to year 12 to have their say about how we should reduce Canberra’s ecological footprint and make Canberra a more sustainable city. Each school may enter up to three teams in each of the year group categories: K-Y3 (6 team members), Y4-Y6 (6 team members), Y7-Y9 (3 team members) and Y10-Y12 (2 team members). Each team should prepare a one-page Green Paper outlining their proposal for action (due 5 May 2017) and a 5 minute presentation about their proposal for delivery at the Parliament. You can download an information flyer here.
WHEN: The Parliament of Youth on Sustainability is set to run on Monday, 29 May 2017 (week 6, term 2) at the Australian National University.
TOPIC: What is one action we should take to reduce Canberra’s ecological footprint?
WATCH: The 2017 Parliament of Youth on Sustainability video (1:38) below for a quick run-down on what the Parliament is all about.
GREEN PAPER TEMPLATE AND INSTRUCTIONS – Students should use the Green Paper Template 2017 to complete their one-page Green Paper for the Parliament – download and save before you start work. Make sure you read the Green Paper Instructions 2017 too. You can find examples of Green Papers here.
EXPERT PRESENTERS AVAILABLE: We have a list of expert volunteers happy to come to your class to present on the ecological footprint, sustainability, renewable energy, and more. Check our presenter list and contact our Project Officer at email@example.com to book a speaker.
SCHOOL PERMISSION NOTES, INCLUDING MEDIA PERMISSION: All students attending the Parliament of Youth on Sustainability will need parent/carer permission for photographs and video to be taken of them on the day. Here’s information you may want to use for your school permission notes.
TEAM MEMBER NAMES: Names of the students in each Parliament team are due on Friday, 5 May 2017 (end of week 2, term 2). Please use the team member registration form.
PROJECT UPDATES: Parliament of Youth Newsletter
STAY CONNECTED: Join our Parliament of Youth Facebook group.
NEED MORE DETAIL?
In a nutshell: What do participating schools/students do?
1. Study the concepts of the ecological footprint and sustainability. Click here for some useful resources.
2. Study one aspect of human lifestyle and how it relates to Canberra’s ecological footprint. Click here for suggested focus topics.
3. Develop a proposal for action to reduce Canberra’s footprint.
4. Each Parliament team outlines what they’ve learnt and sells their single proposal for action in a one-page Parliament paper (Green Paper) (due 5 May 2017 – end of week 2, term 2). (One Green Paper per Parliament team. Click here for the Green Paper Template and Green Paper Instructions 2017.)
5. Each Parliament team prepares a 5 minute presentation, based on their Green Paper.
6. Each Parliament team chooses one student to act as their Minister if their proposal is chosen as one of the best at the Parliament. Ministers prepare a one minute summary speech outlining and selling their proposal in case they need to present this at the Parliament.
7. At the Parliament in term 2, 2017, school teams meet in year group committees with other schools and as a full Parliament to deliver their presentations and vote on the best proposals to take forward to Canberra’s politicians.
Need more information?
Contact: Project Officer at E: firstname.lastname@example.org .
2016 Parliament of Youth on Sustainability
Parliament of Youth on Sustainability 2016 – Final 16 proposals (error on p2)
2015 student Ministers meet with MLAs
2015 Parliament of Youth on Sustainability
2013 Parliament of Youth on Sustainability
THANK YOU to our supporters
The 2017 Parliament of Youth on Sustainability project is supported by grant funding from:
ACT Government Education Directorate
Association of Independent Schools of the ACT
Catholic Education Office (Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn)
ACT Government Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate
ACT Commissioner for Sustainability and the Environment
Venue support is provided by the Australian National University