Following on from the very successful Voices of the People in Kitchen Table Conversations project held in late 2014, several groups identified the need for a new structure to be formed to ensure the ongoing ‘Voices of the People’ are heard by policymakers and politicians.
In collaboration with ACTCOSS, Fair Go for Canberra, March Australia (Canberra) and Australia21, SEE-Change organised a public meeting on Monday 23 April 2015 to discuss the possibility of creating a Canberra Alliance.
The key questions posed for the meeting were:
- Do we need a Canberra Alliance?
- What might be its purpose and function?
Rich discussion took place with the 69 attendees at the meeting and some key outcomes from the meeting were:
- There is a firm appetite for extending the process of kitchen table conversations to a broader cross section of Canberrans.
- There is a recognised need for improved civil engagement, neighbourliness and community empowerment.
- There was less of an appetite for moving quickly towards a structure like the Sydney Alliance but a recognition that we need to develop a legitimate Canberra process for trust and inter-group discussions that could lead to action on the issues that are identified in Kitchen Table Conversations.
Meetings are continuing. Contact us for more details.